When it comes to vein disease, there are a variety of symptoms and signs that can be seen in advance. Experiencing these symptoms can help convince you to seek out the treatment you need in a timely manner. Identifying deep vein thrombosis is especially important to ensure you receive treatment before pulmonary embolism occurs. Here is how you can spot the signs of deep vein thrombosis (DVT):
What Is It?
To identify the signs of deep vein thrombosis, you first need to understand what the condition entails. DVT is a blood clot that develops in the deep veins of your legs. Deep vein thrombosis is important to treat right away to ensure the blood clot does not break away from the vein and cause a pulmonary embolism.
The Signs of Symptoms of DVT
Similar to other health problems, deep vein thrombosis can have several different symptoms. Many of these symptoms can be identified early if seen by your physician. The symptoms and signs of deep vein thrombosis can include:
• Swelling in your legs
• Pain, tenderness, or cramping in your leg. This sensation can include your entire leg including your ankle and foot. In addition, the feelings can be felt in your arm as well. Most individuals will experience pain when placing pressure on their feet from walking or standing.
• The skin on your leg feeling warm
• The skin on your leg appearing red or discolored
• Swollen veins that appear twisted, red, and hard; these veins can be tender when touched
There are also more severe signs and symptoms of deep vein thrombosis that require medical treatment immediately. These signs include:
• Chest pains that include coughing up blood
• Shoulder pain that extends to your arms, back, and jaw
• Shortness of breath
• Painful breathing
• Feelings of severe lightheadedness
• Accelerated heartbeat
These signs can indicate the blood clot breaking free and traveling to your heart. If this occurs, a pulmonary embolism can prove to be fatal. Do not tempt fate and make sure you seek out attention anytime you begin to notice the signs of DVT.
Your Vein Treatment Center
If you believe you are developing deep vein thrombosis, make sure you seek out our help immediately. We start all of our services with a free consultation to make sure our treatments are right for you. Call today and see how we can help identify your deep vein thrombosis.